Academic Advising Resources

Access to Student Records

Protecting and safeguarding the educational record is one of the core responsibilities of the Office of the University Registrar.  Given the highly sensitive nature of information in our systems, we maintain a commitment to full compliance with FERPA regulations and to stay current with best practices in student information management. The Office of the University Registrar reviews all access requests to university systems containing student records.

Before accessing student records, faculty and staff  are expected to review FERPA guidelines at: Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Faculty and staff who have access to student records should complete the Security Awareness Training, of which FERPA is a part, here: (link is external)  The Office of the University Registrar is available to assist departments and offices with understanding the requirements of FERPA policy and guidelines. Training may be requested at: mailto:[email protected].

Student Service Center:

Here’s what we do: Answer student, parent, staff, faculty and community inquiries via phone, in person in 210 Kent Hall, email, and mail about Registration and billing questions.

Here are the reasons to send students to our offices in Kent:

  • Request transcripts in person – but not during the first three weeks of each semester (these can be requested on SSOL)
  • Provide official certification requests/documentation – but not during the first three weeks of each semester (these can be requested on SSOL)
  • Accept Registration Adjustment forms (formerly add/drop) with proper approvals – but not for CC and SEAS students – these MUST come through CSA so that they get a CSA stamp. Accept forms to update student name, address or FERPA release information
  • Accept W-9S forms for tax information (adding SSN to student record)
  • Answer any general billing questions (payments, due dates, payment plan, etc.)
  • Answer any general refund questions
  • Answering questions regarding financial holds and late fees on students’ accounts
  • Complete documentation for Canadian tax form processing
  • Receive Third-Party Billing, Tuition Exemption, or other financial forms

ID Center/Hartley Collaboration

Working together to provide our undergraduate housing students better service in both the ID Center and Hartley Hall, the ID Center and Hartley Hospitality Desk will soon offer students the convenience of having their housing and meal plan coded in the ID Center in Kent Hall, as well as at the Hospitality Desk in Hartley Hall, which is open 24 hours a day. Previously, students could only get the University ID Cards in Kent and the meal plan coding in Hartley. Soon both places will be able to perform both functions.

AMCAS Transcript Requests

We are very excited to launch SSOL transcript requests for AMCAS! Students should now use SSOL to request transcript for AMCAS applications.

Registration Adjustment Form

We have developed a new registration form to replace the old “Add/Drop" form: the Registration Adjustment Form.

This form should only be used when the action cannot be performed by the student using SSOL.

Things to note:

  • Forms should be filled out completely, otherwise they may be returned to the advisor.
  • Changes to a W are considered grade changes. Advisor-approved and student-authorized requests for a W in a course should be emailed to [email protected], either individually or by spreadsheet. The new Registration Adjustment form does not accommodate grade changes. A W in a course is not a drop and there is no change to registration in our student information system.
  • 9th Semester Petitions – students who receive approval to take a 9th semester, whether part- or full-time, will be registered for courses via the paper Registration Adjustment form. Please scan and email these forms to [email protected]. In the notes section, please write “9th Semester Student.”
  • Students can modify their grading options via SSOL during registration until the P/D/F deadline.
  • To modify a P/D/F grading option after the deadline, advisors can email [email protected] instead of using a form.
  • Utilize the notes section! If the form is not doing what you want, write us a note.
  • If you prefer to scan/email forms to [email protected], you are welcome to do so.